New FALL '22 OPTIONS FOR THE FRENCH MAJOR: Option 1 French or Option 2 Area of Emphasis French Studies
In addition to French language courses, we offer a wide variety of classes that address global Francophonie, or French-speaking regions around the world. With excellent language skills and training in literature, media, culture, history, and politics, our French and French Studies majors graduate well-equipped to enter a variety of professional schools and careers. Follow the links on this page to learn more about our course offerings, degree requirements, study abroad and immersion opportunities, weekly discussion groups, and other French-related activities. To be informed of events of interest to Athens's French-speaking community, join our listserv.
Take a look at this information sheet from the French Embassy to learn more about the thriving economic partnership between France and Georgia!
- Undergrad French Language and Culture Courses at UGA (FREN prefix)
- Graduate French Courses
- French Course Syllabi
- Undergraduate Major (A.B. in French or French Studies)
- Undergraduate Minor in French
- Undergraduate Minor in French Studies
- M.A. in French, Linguistics Option
- M.A. in French, Literature Option
- Ph.D. in French
- Ph.D. in Romance Languages
The Department of Romance Languages has a long tradition of encouraging all students to participate in an academically rigorous study abroad program in the language of the host country. Students of French have available the academic year or semester exchange program at the Université Jean Moulin, Lyon 3 and the semester or summer program at the Institute for American Universities (IAU) Aix-en-Provence in France. Semester or academic year exchange opportunities are also available in Quebec, Canada through the National Student Exchange program, and in summer through UNG's French in Quebec at Laval University. Ask your faculty instructors about additional immersion, internship, and work opportunities in Francophone countries.
French Language Campus Residential Community
- Mary Lyndon French Residential Community provides on-campus immersion in the French language
- French Language Community
- French Honor Society--Pi Delta Phi
- Weekly French Table Discussion Group
- Language Resource Center--French Links
- Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Internships and Career Planning
Graduate Reading Lists
- Reading List for the M.A. in French Linguistics
- Reading List for the M.A. in French Literature
- List of Suggested Works for the Ph.D. Preliminary Examination
Elaina Davis studies Electrical Engineering at the University of Georgia. In the spring of 2020, she completed an Honors Option in French 3030 wherein she explores, through illustrations of Jean de La Fontaine’s fable Le corbeau et le renard and Alphonse de Lamartine’s L’Automne, the narrative potential of Bande dessinée in poetry. Her original creations show a thoughtful use of speech and thought bubbles, narrative captions, iconic representation, and a variety of panel styles set in innovative layouts. – Our congratulations on a job well done!