Funding for Abroad Programs in All Languages: Check links for deadlines
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship This U.S. Department of State program enables students who are Pell Grant recipients to study or intern abroad. Awards of up to $5,000 are made for up to one academic year. They offer additional funding for Portuguese as a critical need language. Deadlines are in early March and October.
- Disability Resource Center (UGA) Scholarship Applications are accepted January-April of each year. DRC students will receive an email when the application process opens and have until April 30th to submit all application materials. Scholarships are awarded during Fall semester.
- Experiential Learning Scholarships (UGA) The Office of Experiential Learning offers scholarships to support students' activities. Awards are in amounts of up to $2,500. All approved Experiential Learning activities and areas are eligible for funding, including study abroad, internships, and research and public service projects. For activities occurring in Maymester/Summer/Fall 2023 - February 20, 2023 *Application will open in November
- Franklin College Study Abroad Scholarships (UGA)
Study abroad scholarships from the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. Application deadline February 1, 2023
- Fund for Education Abroad Scholarship provides scholarships to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population, making life-changing, international experiences accessible to all by supporting students of color and first-generation college students before, during, and after they participate in education abroad programs.
- Honors International Scholars Program (HISP UGA) Provides scholarships for Honors students engaging in overseas opportunities by providing scholarships with an average range of $2,500 to $5,000. HISP funding can be used for traditional university-sponsored study abroad programs, university-to-university exchanges, language institutes, internships, and research and public service projects.
- Modern Languages Scholarship Application (UGA) From the Department of Romance Languages specifically for undergraduates majoring in a Romance Language. Apply September 1 - April 2.
- Office of Global Engagement (UGA) awards scholarships to study or research abroad. They award approximately 60 scholarships for undergraduates and 10 for grad students annually of $2000-3000. There are special funds to travel to Latin America and Africa. Application deadlines: October 15 and Feb.15.
*Additional funding is continually being sought by program directors, so inquire when you apply about more resources specific to your selected program. Applicants for competitive funding are strongly encouraged to consult with a current or previous professor about their applications before final submission.
French-specific Study Abroad Funding:
- French Study Abroad Award Application
Department of Romance Languages scholarship for study abroad to a French-speaking nation.
- Joel Walz Study Abroad in French Scholarship
Department of Romance Languages Scholarship for study abroad to France or Quebec.
- Meredith Hope Emerson Memorial Award for Study Abroad
Award given by the Department of Romance Languages for French-language study in any French-speaking country, in memory of former UGA student Meredith Hope Emerson.
- Institute of American Universities: in memoriam Meredith Hope Emerson
Study abroad scholarship to IAU program in Aix-en-Provence, France, in memory of Meredith Hope Emerson.
Portuguese-specific Study Abroad Funding:
- Boren Scholars and Fellows study a wide range of critical languages that include Portuguese. Boren Awards are available to students of all proficiency levels who are committed to enhancing their skills. Students who are currently enrolled in the Portuguese Flagship program are encouraged to apply for the Boren Scholarship which can provide up to $25,000 for an academic year overseas.
Graduate Student-specific Awards:
- Dolores Artau Scholarship
Department of Romance Languages award for an outstanding graduate student.
- French Graduate Research Travel Award Application
Awards for French graduate students to travel to perform research or conference presentations.
- French Graduate Studies Award
Award for outstanding applicants to French graduate program.
- Nina Salant Hellerstein Professional Development Fund
Financial assistance for advanced graduate student and faculty research.
- UGA Office of Global Engagement awards scholarships to study or research abroad. They award approximately 10 scholarships for graduate students annually of $2000-3000. There are special funds to travel to Latin America and Africa. Application deadlines: October 15 and Feb.15.