Skip to main content
Skip to main menu Skip to spotlight region Skip to secondary region Skip to UGA region Skip to Tertiary region Skip to Quaternary region Skip to unit footer


Undergraduate FAQ

Who is my advisor and how do I make an appointment?

Dr. Alicia Arribas advises Spanish majors from their 2nd year, Ms. Kate Daley-Bailey advises French, Italian, Portuguese and Romance Languages and some Spanish majors from their 2nd year, and Dr. David Latimer advises Spanish study abroad students. In order to make an appointment for advising, please schedule an appointment with your advisor in SAGE

How do I declare a major or minor?

Discuss your decision with your undergraduate advisor. Students may now declare a major or minor through Athena. No departmental forms are necessary. To declare a major or minor in Spanish, French, Portuguese, or Italian, please log in to Athena and follow the directions listed in here

How do I obtain a minor completion form?

To declare a minor in Spanish, French, Portuguese, or Italian, please log in to Athena and follow the directions listed in this link

Should I double major in two languages or major in Romance Languages?

A Romance Languages major enables you to have a major concentration in Italian or Portuguese. It also gives you the flexibility to study more than one language. However, a double major in most cases only requires four more courses and is needed if you plan to teach in high school or apply for graduate school in that language.

Who should I see if I have a problem getting into a course or if courses needed for graduation are not available?

Drop-Add is conducted entirely online. Consult Athena for availability of classes.

What should I do if I want to study abroad?

Review the information on our study abroad programs sponsored by the Department of Romance Languages on this website and meet with one of the undergraduate advisors in the department to discuss your interests. Plan to attend the Study Abroad Fair that is held in October.

Talk to an advisor in the Office of Global Engagement. That office has information about programs and will advise you about transferring credit. You will need to obtain a Credit Approval Form from that office or online.


For the procedures in the College, go to the Franklin College Academic Services web site. In the Department, you must see your undergraduate advisor who will give you the forms for outcome assessment. These forms must be completed before your advisor will complete the graduation checklist required by the College.

Support us

We appreciate your financial support. Your gift is important to us and helps support critical opportunities for students and faculty alike, including lectures, travel support, and any number of educational events that augment the classroom experience. Click here to learn more about giving.

Every dollar given has a direct impact upon our students and faculty.